Design Foundations

Confident and carefree turned serious and passionate as a ignorant freshman graduated to an aware third year. At the age of seven I did not know that I wanted to be an architect. By nineteen I still had no idea if I wanted to be an architect. This did not matter most of the time. Into Design IV most of my day was dedicated to the three basic needs: eating, sleeping, and getting design work done. Every night a solid eight hours of sleep propelled me through, ignoring friends I only recently made the prior year. My roommate, frustrated by my sole dedication to school work proclaimed to me that she was going to look back on college and think of all her good times with friends, not all the work she did.

Perhaps I am crazy because I looked at her, smiled with clarity, and continued working on design. Spending time on design was clear, challenging, and personal. When two days would go by and I had not phoned home, my father would call to make sure I was still alive. (Parents...) "Why haven't you called?" My reply - "Oh man, it's only Tuesday? I can't believe it! I feel like so much more time has past. Dad, it's amazing how much I learn in a day! It's so awesome!" His rolling eyes came right through the phone as he said with relief, "I'm just glad your doing alright since I haven't heard from you..." This would be about the point where I would ramble on at light speed about everything I was working on, "And the crit went ok...they said I need to slow down when I speak..." Cut off, my Dad would tell me I was talking to fast right there and that I really need to pay attention to it.

There I was, rambunctiously loving my education. Every once in a while I was stuck, knot in my throat, not knowing the answer. It wasn't always easy, but it was sure worth it.