Division II Varsity Softball

Utility player infield and outfield

Fall 2005-Spring 2009

Academic/Athletic achievement senior year

Photo Below: Senior Day, I'm in the middle with my team gift - a longboard (Spring 2009)

Versatility is key

Over four years, I saw a lot of people come and go on the team. My freshman year the school got a new head coach for softball. I was one of a dozen new freshman. I graduated the only senior on the team.

Throughout the shifts of people, coach had me play in many positions, including those I have never played. For almost an entire season I played 3rd base. I had never played third before this. Keeping fundamentals in mind, I was always able to change positions without much difficulty.

Below: That's me playing shortstop on our home field.

Balancing being an athlete and a student

It was never easy going to school with a commitment to softball. We had a short season in the fall and played throughout the spring. Spring Break was spent in Florida playing skilled teams. It was always our first time outside for the year. Coming back to a chilly Philadelphia, our season started with four games on the weekend and usually four during the week. Every game was a double header lasting at least four hours (not including warm up). We had a break from practice every 9 days or less which always turned to be a real relief.

I would spend most of my in season time playing softball, doing school work, eating, and sleeping (the essentials). Playing softball was a break from school work. I found it to be relaxing and fun to be around the team.

Below: I make contact up at bat in Millersville, PA.

Being a Team Player...

My enthusiasm on the team was unmatchable. I refused to sit on the bench while our team batted cheering on the team. In the field I promoted verbal communication that I learned was essential to a successful team. Now that I am at school without playing, I have teammates telling me the team is very quiet without me. They say they miss my positive attitude and team focus. Sometimes in college ball the game gets too serious as if the only point is to win. It is great to win, but it's even better to have fun while you're doing it.

We didn't always have a winning team at PhilaU. The team goal freshman year was to have a winning record. By my senior year we reached a new team goal by making it to play-offs. Plus we held our own while we were there. We knocked out the top team in the league which is phenomenal! 

Below: Senior Day "funny picture".